Friday, September 19, 2008

People prefer to be Strangers :)

Who like to be stranger? I am sure we often read at-least one news paper; In that we read almost all gossips, read all possible columns which contain information about our country and sometimes outside the country. And the variety of people which we encounter in newspaper range from someone in our city who might have met with a road accident (whom we don’t know) to Manmohan Singh or Sonia Gandhi who represent India on political front. To our surprise, we are not satisfied with this and we extend our boundary to people like Barrack Obama, Britney Spears and many more… If you ask yourself about this that why you are reading about people whom you don’t know, I think you will get the same answer which I got and it is “I am a responsible citizen so I should know what is happening around me and it’s my interest ”. But I am sure we will not have answers for this?
1. Do we know who sits next to our cubicle in office?
2. Which state he/she belongs to?
3. Is that state affected with the recent flood? How are their family members?
4. Who lives next-door to us?
5. What all festivals they celebrate?
6. Have we ever shared sweets in our festivals?

I think you will again get the same answer which I got and it is “we don’t have time to look into all this and we know our team members”. But one question which remains unanswered is “why we prefer to be stranger”. I am working in an IT company and there are some 6oo people working in it. But I hardly know 100. What about the rest 500? Where are they from?
I remember I had the same discussion with my friends like Deepak, Purshottam and Dilip who works in different companies and there also they face the same environment. If we admit true, we are often interested in knowing more about the opposite sex. Can we be friends? If she is good looking, can I ask her for a date and many more guyz question along with this…
Can we actually do anything about it? Not sure because this doesn’t depends on you only but on the people whom you are approaching.
Again the question which comes to mind is “Why to know everyone around you?”, “Will this really make any difference?” I have often heard about “vasudev kutumbakam”. Will this idea of knowing each other will make us more attached to people of different caste, creed, sex and language? I don’t know. Then will this saying of “vasudev kutumbakam” be ever true?
I don’t have the answer for so many questions but I believe that yes if we try we can make some difference. We can help people build trust around each other, share shoulders in our pain and grief, share sweets in our festival celebration. I know this is like a drop in ocean but collecting these small drops will only make ocean someday…. I am tired of this optimism of mine but I am in love with it! :)

Special Thanks to Kishore for sharing his ideas with me .... :)

No comments: